Webmail

Zachariah Mully zmully at smartbrief.com
Mon Oct 16 09:30:19 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 14:13 +0200, Martin G.H. Minkler wrote:
> mailing at scastagnoli.info schrieb:
>
> > I would use Horde because it seems there is a gorupware Horde-based that
> > should be so cool.
> > It could be fantastic if Horde could interface with MS Outlook to share
> > contacts and other informaions.
> > Does anyone have some experiences in that way?
> >

> If You're looking for groupware based on cyrus visit http://www.kolab.org
>
> Glueing a webmail frontend like squirrelmail to that should be no problem.
>
> Generally I haven't had any problems with squirrelmail except that I
> didn't manage to configure it to use plaintext+TLS auth since it won't
> use STARTTLS according to IMAPS but tries to establish a classic SSL
> layer with the server before even speaking IMAP - I forgot the exact
> scenario.

I would stay far far away from kolab for anything more than one or two
person use. Especially if you plan on using it with Outlook as the
Outlook connector stores the Kolab data in a binary format, making it
unsearchable on the server side, hence retardedly slow as you need to
suck down an entire folder (the complete message, not just the headers),
parse each message, then search them just to find a single event. The
developers response to my questions about the inefficiencies of their
storage format was basically "that is the clients problem
[parsing/caching the kolab objects]". So don't plan on using it with
Horde, as you'll kill your server, as every operation in the web
calendar, for instance, will require your webserver to fetch and parse
every calendar object.

openxchange looks to be a more viable alternative, especially if you
have to support webclient users.

For just webmail though, Horde is great, especially if you install the
sieve rule manager and the password tool, then people can manage their
own vacation/ooo rules, as well as update their passwords.