changed delivery to subfolder?

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Tue Oct 10 10:01:59 EDT 2006

Marten Lehmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the documentation says, that one should use an address like
> test+Junk at test.de to delivery a message directly into the Junk-folder of
> test at test.de. I noticed that this doesn't work and the mail is delivered
> to INBOX instead.
>
> However, I found out that I have to deliver messages to
> test/Junk at test.de instead and then it will be delivered to the Junk
> folder correctly. But this behaviour isn't described anywhere, so is
> cyrus actually expected to behave like that?

No, you're creating your mailboxes wrong.

Are you using a single domain? Then set it as the default in imapd.conf:

  defaultdomain: mail.example.net

And create your new mailboxes like this with cyradm:

  > cm user.bob

Or, if using the UNIX heirarchy separator:

  > cm user/bob

Then use your client, not cyradm, to create subfolders.

If you want to add virtual domains, which is only necessary if you want
to duplicate logins between domains (you can avoid this by giving
everyone a unique login in the same realm), read this carefully:

  http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/imapd/install-virtdomains.html

Then you will create mailboxes for your virtual domains like this:

  > cm user.bob at example.com

or

  > cm user/bob at example.com

Once again, use your mail client to create subfolders, not cyradm! You
will be better able to understand the changes that are occuring to the
account in your mail spool, which is normally /var/spool/imap. Monitor
this folder as you make changes, but do not manipulate it directly.

This information is somewhat incomplete, as you also need to deal with
your realms in your MTA and selected authentication system. There are a
lot of choices in this area, so noone can tell you what is best for you.
You'll need to specify your requirements. For example, why have you
chosen to use the UNIX heirarchy separator? This is fine, but do you
have a demonstrated need, or are you following a howto? Do you need to
implement virtual domains?