Cyrus, Solaris 10, ZFS? (and NIS?)

Elizabeth Schwartz betsy.schwartz at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 11:27:37 EDT 2006

Thank you again to everyone!
I have set unix_group_enable: 0   and, for good measure, left
nsswitch.conf set to "group: files" instead of "group: files nis"

The difference in server performance is: total. I am seeing IMAP response
time of 0.1 second instead of 10 seconds - I keep looking at the log to make
sure that it's still running!

This is going to scroll off in a few hours, but you can see exactly where I
turned off the groups and the response time line went from low to invisible

http://enki.gsd.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/larrd-grapher.cgi?host=hathor.gsd.harvard.edu&service=imap2&graph=hourlyhttp://enki.gsd.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/larrd-grapher.cgi?host=hathor.gsd.harvard.edu&service=imap2&graph=hourly

Thank you all again for your help! And I agree that this should come with
some kind of warning label. Maybe put something in the default
imapd.conffile along the lines of:

# group checking can cause performance problems; uncomment to disable if
groups are not needed
# unix_group_enable:0

thanks Betsy