Cyrus, Solaris 10, ZFS? (and NIS?)

Robert Banz banz at umbc.edu
Thu Oct 5 14:30:01 EDT 2006

On Oct 5, 2006, at 13:59, Elizabeth Schwartz wrote:

> >There's a bug in ZFS regarding performance problems when fsync'ing
> >file descriptors -- there's apparently going to be a patch coming
> >"real soon now" -- your options are:
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ugh, that would be bad news. Except, I think the delay is happening
> earlier. The delay is between the A001 login and A001 ok, and the
> only zfs file system is the mail spool (I should have spelled that
> out)
>
> I've been playing with the dtrace toolkit this afternoon - still a
> bit stuck on how to get from my tcp port connection to the process
> number to run dtrace dtruss (lsof *should* be the right tool but
> I'm missing a step somewhere)

"topsyscall" is also really a good way to see what fun things are
going on with the machine.  Damn I'm in love with dtrace ;)

Once you find out what your PID is after you connect, connect
'dapptrace' to it.  It'll give you a run down of all of the function
calls* that are going on (as they're going on), so you'll really get
an idea of what's going on.

*yes, function calls.  Not just syscalls.   Don't ask how it works --
it's magic.

-rob