Cyrus, Solaris 10, ZFS? (and NIS?)

Elizabeth Schwartz betsy.schwartz at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 12:40:42 EDT 2006

Is anyone happily running all of the above? All of the above except NIS? Any
tuning hints?

I'm running Solaris 10 (06/06), cyrus 2.3.7 (Blastwave build) , sendmail
8.13.8 (ditto), mailspool on a zfs filesystem, authenticating
via NIS. I've already solved one problem with VERY slow sendmail response,
turned out to be a Solaris NIS bug  ( patch 123186-01)

Current problem is that IMAP response is intermittently CRAWLING.
http://enki.gsd.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/larrd-grapher.cgi?host=hathor.gsd.harvard.edu&service=imap2&graph=daily

When it gets slow I also see paging, high number of processes, no particular
errors.

The delay comes AFTER the initial response from the server, between the A001
login user passwd and the A001 OK response.
So it still could be NIS or it could be some kinda system resource issue.

I've tried making the local server an NIS slave (just seems to increase
paging and thrashing without changing response time), turning off NIS for
everything except netgroups (working on those ) I know NIS is suboptimal and
I  aim to get rid of NIS completely but I wasn't planning to do so this
weekend (all of our web-based user management tools are entangled with NIS)

The server is a dual-processor Sun480R; considering that we were running
with no load issues with Solaris 8 on a 220R I think this machine should be
adequate for our 1000-odd users.

I'd also appreciate any hints for debugging IMAP. Is there a way to get
cyrus to open *one* connection on an offbeat port for me to play with? I am
not clear on how I can truss an entire interaction when there are so many
processes. By the time I identify it I've missed the beginning.

thanks for any clues
Betsy