Failing to authenticate on the frontends

Jesus Roncero jesus at mxtelecom.com
Thu Oct 5 05:30:55 EDT 2006

Michael Loftis wrote:

>>> Authentication of the user happens at the frontend.  The frontend then
>>> uses  the proxy credentials to authorize as the user on the backend.
>>> The backends  don't need a full user database, just the proxy
>>> information.
>>
>> Yes and no.  If an IMAP client support referrals, the frontends will
>> return a referral to the appropriate backend.  So, the client may connect
>> to the backend as well in some cases.
>
> Oops, I forgot about that detail.  We locally patched referrals out of
> our IMAP proxies.

Umm, isn't there an option on the configuration to disable referrals? If
not, do you have that patch available?

Also, one question on the communication between the frontends and
backends. I made them speak using TLS and plain, but would like to use
CRAM-MD5 or DIGEST-MD5 and no TLS at all. Is that possible?
Because when I disable TLS and force it to use the MD5 thing, the
frontend complains that there are no mechs available.

--
Jesus Roncero <jesus at mxtelecom.com>
System Developer