default domain reverts to hostname?

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Wed Oct 4 05:10:57 EDT 2006

Jo Rhett wrote:
> Andreas Winkelmann wrote:
>> Am Tuesday 03 October 2006 02:09 schrieb Jo Rhett:
>>
>>> It may appear that the answer is
>>>     servername: name I want to use for local realm
>>>
>>> Any reason I shouldn't do it this way?  Any better way?
>>
>> The value of servername is presented after Connecting to your server.
>> If you move the Configuration to another Server, the real Servername
>> and the presented can differ. If you can live with that, this is the
>> easiest way.
>
> Actually, the problem is much much worse and incredibly inconsistent.
> Like blow me away inconsistent.
>
> Connect from localhost, and the realm used is the 'servername' parameter
> from imapd.conf (or FQDN if unset)
>
> Connect from another host, and the realm used is apparently derived from
> the hostname!  In this case, it's being set to sv.svcolo.com

Apparently this is standard and can be disabled with virtdomain: userid.

Okay, so "servername" really is just the server name.

Can we get a new parameter which is always used as the default domain
for SASL authentication if no other is provided?  Obviously the
virtdomain ip-lookup mode provides a domain to sasl, so it wouldn't
affect this...

--
Jo Rhett
Network/Software Engineer