default domain reverts to hostname?

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Wed Oct 4 02:58:03 EDT 2006

Andreas Winkelmann wrote:
> Am Tuesday 03 October 2006 02:09 schrieb Jo Rhett:
>
>> It may appear that the answer is
>> 	servername: name I want to use for local realm
>>
>> Any reason I shouldn't do it this way?  Any better way?
>
> The value of servername is presented after Connecting to your server. If you
> move the Configuration to another Server, the real Servername and the
> presented can differ. If you can live with that, this is the easiest way.

Actually, the problem is much much worse and incredibly inconsistent.
Like blow me away inconsistent.

Connect from localhost, and the realm used is the 'servername' parameter
from imapd.conf (or FQDN if unset)

Connect from another host, and the realm used is apparently derived from
the hostname!  In this case, it's being set to sv.svcolo.com

Oct  3 23:53:00 kininvie pop3[86982]: sql plugin doing query SELECT
Password FROM Mail_Users WHERE Username = 'jrhett' AND Domain =
'sv.svcolo.com'

Seriously, are we just making up different answers based on our mood?
Does the default realm change if the username starts with a capital letter?

This is crazy!

--
Jo Rhett
Network/Software Engineer