Trying to install murder

Jesus Roncero jesus at mxtelecom.com
Tue Oct 3 08:18:09 EDT 2006

Hi,
I am trying to get a murder installation on a couple of test machines,
on one of which I don't have root access, so I installed a patched
version of cyrus-imapd-2.3.7  which can be started from a regular user.
Because of this, all ports are high ports.

The configuration is as follows:

Frontend server + mupdate server configured. Apparently everything works
ok on high ports. the mupdate server listens at port number 2004.
Configured with PLAIN and LOGIN and sasldb.

Backend server. Configured with PLAIN and LOGIN and sasldb.

I am following the instructions from:
http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/imapd/install-murder.html

And each machine has the configuration options set as in the document.

So, basically I have two running installations of cyrus-imapd-2.3.7 with
cyrus-sasl-2.1.22 and  db-4.4.20 that apparently run ok. Accessing them
with the cyradm work and I can do the usual stuff, like creating the
mailboxes, etc. Even from the backend I can connect to the frontend
using cyradm and it lets me do the usual stuff (except create mailboxes
as that is not allowed on the frontends).

When I was about to test the system with the tool "ctl_mboxlist -mw" All
I got is a "couldn't connect to mupdate server" on the command line and
a couldn't authenticate to backend server. (Although I am trying to
authenticate against the frontend server, I guess).

Anyway, I have debugged the application and found out that it fails when
  it reaches the function backend_authenticate in backend.c, which makes
a call to saslclient and that one to sasl_client_start, which is part of
the sasl library. From what I have seen, what sasl_client_start is
iterate through the mechlist that the frontend presents and through the
backend list comparing them, but somehow fails with an error like "No
worthy mechs found". The backend definitely contacts the frontend as I
checked it by sniffing the network.

So, as this is getting fairly complicated with many different
configurations and options, instead of digging even more into the depths
of sasl and cyrus source code ;) i'd like to ask here in case anyone
could give me any hints or suggestions.

I have not copied any configuration file not to make this email
eternally long, but would do.

Well, I think this is all, for now. Thanks at least for reading :)

--
Jesus Roncero <jesus at mxtelecom.com>
System Developer