2.6 Kernel and POP issues

Wesley Craig wes at umich.edu
Mon Nov 27 19:16:36 EST 2006

On 27 Nov 2006, at 18:20, Robert T. Covell wrote:
> Other articles I have read reference how to set it up.  My setup seems
> to be similar to what I have seen.  From the below article it is
> possible that I need to fill up the entropy pool.  Are their other
> ways
> to do this aside from running find /.?  Or examples of how to
> "tune" it
> (if possible).

Assuming this is the problem, the "fix" is to use /dev/urandom rather
than /dev/random.  The difference is that /dev/urandom always returns
bytes, whether or not there is sufficient entropy.  Another fix would
be to run on a machine with a hardware entropy generator.

> If this turns out to be the issue does anyone know what would have
> changed from 2.4 to 2.6 (which I know is a lot), but in regards to
> entropy?

Linux 2.4 didn't have a secure /dev/random, at least not be default.
2.6 does by default.

:wes