unread mails

Phil Pennock info-cyrus-spodhuis at spodhuis.org
Fri Nov 24 13:36:27 EST 2006

On 2006-11-24 at 17:10 +0100, Thomas Hagen wrote:
> I have a cyrus mail server with some users and one big user.
> It worked fine till i had to reboot the sever.
> Now all mailboxes are still ok only the big one shows only unread mails
> in the mailfolders. I'm not able to change it because when i reopen the
> client all mails are unread again.
>
> Can somebody help me?
>
> Where can i find out what to do?

Go into the area of the filesystem where the mails are stored.  Go into
the directory with the emails for that user (eg, if user is "fred" then
"f/user/fred").

Look to see if there are some files with names ending ".NEW"; if there
are, then I think that the system didn't shut down cleanly and the cyrus
index information has been left locked -- the server not keeping record
of changes to seen state is consistent with the .NEW files being
present.

If this is the case, then you need to "reconstruct" the folder.  As the
cyrus user, "reconstruct user.fred" (or user/fred, if you're using the
Unix hierarchy separator).  Eg:
# su - cyrus -c 'reconstruct user.fred'

If there are not .NEW files present, then I pass.

Regards,
-Phil