Captive mailbox in Cyrus IMAP?

Phil Chambers P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk
Thu Nov 23 11:05:25 EST 2006

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 09:47:46 -0600 Rich Graves <rgraves at carleton.edu> wrote:

> Phil Chambers wrote:
> > Rename the account from user.account to user.account-pending, keeping the same
> > partition so that the rename is quick. Create a new account for user.account
> > and put your single message in there. Do a reconstruct to make the message
> > visible.
>
> That's a lot more clever than my suggestion.
>
> In theory, you might get problems with POP client UIDLs or IMAP
> disconnected mode (though UIDVALIDITY is supposed to address that). Any
> problems of this sort in practice?

I had overlooked the UIDL issue! I think we may have been lucky so far. We have
very few POP clients and the use of this facility is not very common.

> Why the message drop and reconstruct rather than LMTP submission? Local
> mail routing makes that difficult?

I added the message header by-pass facility to my Exim config after I had done
the scripting and did not bother changing the script. You are quite right that
one could use LMTP (I would do it that way if I started now).

Phil.