performance on large inboxes

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Thu Nov 9 16:19:30 EST 2006

Hello,

> I did play with ext2 dir_hash, but didn't find it helping me much (it
> would help lookups sometimes, but slowed file creation significantly on
> my tests). I've also heard people praise reiserfs for it's performance
> under these conditions (personally I don't trust it, but some of that is
> historical baggage)

I'm using ext3 with dir_hash. I considered using XFS, but there are a
lot of benchmarks that show that XFS is not faster in general, also the
XFS development seems to be stucked at the moment and from my own
experience as well as from other people in a recent thread on this
mailinglist there are some really strange errors appearing from time to
time with XFS that are making it a bad choice for production systems,
especially when it happens, that the server crashs unexpectedly (i.e. a
memory module fails). I tried to trust ReiserFS several times and I had
so much problems with it, that I don't intend to use it ever again. Even
  Novell/SuSE which praised ReiserFS for a long time turned away from it.

Regards
Marten