namespace question

Ivo Petrov roshisa at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 9 15:18:05 EST 2006

Hi all,

I have Cyrus-Imap 2.3.7 running with postfix 2.3.3 and
mysql 4.1.21. Authentication goes with sasl2 2.1.22,
plain text authentication+SSL and everything works
fine on FreeBSD 6.1.

I use alternate namespace in order to get
representation of the folders to be as they are not
subfolders of INBOX but instead to be on the same
level as INBOX.

My question is can I get cyrus-imap to place the
incoming messages not in the INBOX but in some other
folder which I can name Inbox. My point is that the
people want to organize their messages in subfolders
and if the mail comes to the Inbox folder they can
make subfolders of Inbox.

Let me give you graphically what I want to achieve.
With alternate namespace we have:

INBOX
Drafts
Templates
Sent
Trash

as it is seen from the mail clients.

If I try to make a subfolder of INBOX the picture is:

INBOX
Drafts
Templates
Sent
Trash
New Folder

My goal is to achieve the view like this:

Inbox
|_New Folder
Drafts
Templates
Sent
Trash.

Is it possible to do it and how can be done if
possible?

Thanks in advance.

Ivaylo Petrov
System Administrator