Does the quota include deleted but not yet expunged mails in v2.3 with delayed expunge?

Pascal Gienger Pascal.Gienger at uni-konstanz.de
Thu Nov 9 14:01:15 EST 2006

David Carter <dpc22 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Nov 2006, Farzad FARID wrote:
>
>> I'm running Cyrus Imapd 2.3.7 with the delayed expunge mode. Do the
>> messages deleted by the user, but not yet expunged by the system, count
>> in the user's quota? I'd say yes but I'd like a confirmation.
>
> Yes. \Deleted is just another flag on messages.

He does not talk about deleted and not yet expunged mails, he talks about
the delayed expunge mode.
That means, the user expunges the mailbox, so all messages marked with
\Deleted are expunged and removed from the user's quota. But the messages
still remain physically in the file system until they are really expunged
by the expire process. This is helpful if you want to be able to restore
accidently deleted files very fast or if your file system has a very bad
unlink performance, like xfs.

So Mr Farid, messages deleted and expunged by the user do not count in the
user's quota even if the delayed expunge mode is turned on.

But keep in mind that the delayed messages still gobble up space in your
filesystem.

Pascal Gienger