2.2 murder backend authentication problems

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Thu May 18 15:26:29 EDT 2006

On Thu, 18 May 2006, Brenden Conte wrote:

> True, and i perhaps used a bad example - this occurs anytime i try to connect
> to the backend, not just on CREATE.  for example, i can successfully, log in
> with a valid account, but if i try to `SELECT INBOX`, I get the same error.

I don't know enough about the sasl authentication details to debug your
problem directly, but here are the relevant parts of my frontend and
backend configs for comparison.

Frontend
--------

servername: imap.onid.oregonstate.edu

admins: cyrus
allowanonymouslogin: 0
allowplaintext: 1
lmtp_admins: cyr_lmtp
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
sasl_minimum_layer: 0
#sasl_maximum_layer: 256
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd

mupdate_server: cyrus-mm.onid.oregonstate.edu
mupdate_port: 3905
mupdate_authname: cyr_mupdate
mupdate_username: cyr_mupdate
mupdate_password: XXXXXXX
proxyservers: cyr_proxy
proxy_authname: cyr_proxy
proxy_password: XXXXXXX

Backend
-------

servername: mail1.onid.oregonstate.edu

admins: cyrus cyr_proxy
allowanonymouslogin: 0
allowplaintext: 1
lmtp_admins: cyr_lmtp cyr_proxy
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
sasl_minimum_layer: 0
#sasl_maximum_layer: 256
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd

mupdate_server: cyrus-mm.onid.oregonstate.edu
mupdate_port: 3905
mupdate_authname: cyr_mupdate
mupdate_username: cyr_mupdate
mupdate_password: XXXXXXX
proxyservers: cyr_proxy
proxy_authname: cyr_proxy
proxy_password: XXXXXXX

Btw, LOGIN is not a sasl mech.  It is an IMAP login method.

 	Andy