Errors seen in the last few day relating to Cyrus

Clint Dilks clintd at scms.waikato.ac.nz
Wed May 3 03:36:23 EDT 2006

Hi People,

I have inherited a Cyrus IMAP server and need help to resolve some
issues I'm having with it.  It has basically run fine over the last 6
Months, but in the last few days the following errors have appeared

DBERROR db4: Logging region out of memory; you may need to increase its
size
DBERROR: opening /var/imap/deliver.db: Cannot allocate memory
DBERROR: opening /var/imap/deliver.db: cyrusdb error

DBERROR db4: Logging region out of memory; you may need to increase its
size
DBERROR: opening /var/imap/tls_sessions.db: Cannot allocate memory
DBERROR: opening /var/imap/tls_sessions.db: cyrusdb error

Re-starting cyrus appears to have solved the problem for now, but in an
attempt to prevent the problem re-occurring I did some research on the
web.  This led me to the DB_CONFIG file.  In particular the setting I
wanted to try were
set_lg_regionmax 131072
set_lg_bsize 524288
set_flags DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE

Before I made this change I ran the following commands

zombie ~ #  db4.2_stat /var/imap/deliver.db -l
40988   Log magic number.
8       Log version number.
32KB    Log record cache size.
0660    Log file mode.
10Mb    Current log file size.
        Log bytes written.
        Log bytes written since last checkpoint.
0       Total log file writes.
0       Total log file write due to overflow.
0       Total log file flushes.
1       Current log file number.
28      Current log file offset.
0       On-disk log file number.
0       On-disk log file offset.
0       Max commits in a log flush.
0       Min commits in a log flush.
96KB    Log region size.
0       The number of region locks granted after waiting.
0       The number of region locks granted without waiting.

zombie ~ #  db4.2_stat /var/imap/tls_sessions.db -l
40988   Log magic number.
8       Log version number.
32KB    Log record cache size.
0660    Log file mode.
10Mb    Current log file size.
        Log bytes written.
        Log bytes written since last checkpoint.
0       Total log file writes.
0       Total log file write due to overflow.
0       Total log file flushes.
1       Current log file number.
28      Current log file offset.
0       On-disk log file number.
0       On-disk log file offset.
0       Max commits in a log flush.
0       Min commits in a log flush.
96KB    Log region size.
0       The number of region locks granted after waiting.
0       The number of region locks granted without waiting.

I then shutdown cyrus (and exim the mailer configured) and created
DB_CONFIG ensuring the permissions were set to cyrus:mail.
I then ran the command

 db4.2_recover -h /var/imap/ -v
db_recover: Finding last valid log LSN: file: 1 offset 28

And restarted the services I had stopped.  I repeated the db4.2_stat
commands and unfortunately the output is the same.  What am I missing?
As it appears the DB_CONFIG file is being ignored.  Once I had this
issue I also tried placing DB_CONFIG in /var/imap/db and repeating the
process this had no effect on the effected files either.

My System is Gentoo packages

dev-libs/cyrus-sasl-2.1.20
net-mail/cyrus-imap-admin-2.2.10
net-mail/cyrus-imapd-2.2.12

sys-libs/db-4.2.52_p2.

The system supports less than 1000 mailboxes. Any help you could offer
would be appreciated.

--
Clint Dilks
Linux Administrator