Latin1/UTF8 chars?

Walter Willmertinger willmis at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 02:29:06 EDT 2006

Just change /etc/imapd.conf and add following line:

munge8bit: no

So you see your subjects with "Umlaut"s again!

We had the same problem, migrating UW4 to Cyrus. The  theory is that there
is  a RFC which does nit allow 8-bit-characters in mail headers. They should
be encoded. Most mail clients encode 8-bit-characters correctly, but there
are a lot of mailers which do not! But just add this directive before
migrating.

Regards Walter

On 6/26/06, Marten Lehmann <lehmann at cnm.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > Driven by the setting of "reject8bit" in /etc/imapd.conf in both
> > Cyrus 2.2.* and 2.3.*.  The default is to change 8-bit characters
> > to "X".  Set "reject8bit" to have lmtpd reject messages with 8-bit
> > characters in the headers.
>
> if I can disable rejecting, can I also disable changing characters to X?
>
> The point is, that when we are migrating from dovecot to cyrus very
> soon, I don't want to see strange sideeffects after the migration and
> users yelling at me because sometime changed in the IMAP behaviour.
>
> And there are senders that send invalid characters in the subject but
> you cannot force them to send valid encoded subjects (several registries
> for internet domain names).
>
> Regards
> Marten
> ----