Postfix Routing & Cyrus Virtdomains

former03 | Baltasar Cevc baltasar.cevc at former03.de
Tue Jun 13 14:45:45 EDT 2006

Hi Pedro,

> The docs state that virtual mailbox, need some extra suff set up,
> namely virtual_mailbox_base.

> How would this help with several backends?
> I can't define several cyrus backends, can I?

> And how exaclty does virtual_mailbox help in this scenario, since mail
> must be routed to the appropriate backend, which might be in another
> server, and for what I see in the docs, the virtual_mailbox requires
> the physical paths to the mailboxes, correct?
Depends on the config. You can make postfix deliver it to mbox files (I
think that's the default), however, you can make it do anything else
that can be a transport - just override it by virtual_transport
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#virtual_transport

I would define a transport table (e.g. use a SQL lookup and have a
transport field for every address), pointing to lmtp:<backend>, that
should do the job; I'm not sure about what happens to address
extensions, though.

> And will an address like username at domain.tld@backend be routed
> correctly with virtual_mailboxes?

 From your other mail:
On 13.06.2006, at 20:22, Pedro Algarvio wrote:
> We would like to keep using postfix'es
> virtual_alias_domains/virtual_alias_maps which is the way the system
> is setup right now, which correctly routes the mail *if* virtdomains
> is set to off and the user's mailboxes are in the form of
> username_domain_tld, and the routing address is
> username_domain_tld at backend.
I'm not quite sure about the details you have, but you can mix
virtual_alias_maps and virtual_mailbox_maps at will. If you mix that
with a transport table, the latter will have precedence over the
virtual_mapbox_map conserning the transport (you could have
virtual_mailbox_transport=lmtp:<some lmtp proxy> and then override it
for some mailboxes). What I'm not sure about is whether alias rewriting
will take place in case you have an transport specified, you'd have to
have a look at the postfix docs for that.

Hope that helps,
Baltasar

_____ former 03 gmbh
_____ infanteriestraße 19 haus 6 eg