reconstruct while system is running?

Scott Russell lnxgeek at us.ibm.com
Tue Jul 25 21:49:53 EDT 2006

Michael Loftis wrote:
> --On July 25, 2006 3:37:43 PM +0200 "Heiling, Steffen"
> <cyr-l at maxshell.de> wrote:
>> I'm just wondering if I can run "reconstruct -r" for all mailboxes
>> while
>> the system is running with mid load? I want to switch all  mailboxes
>> to a
>> new server with more space and without a big downtime.
>
> I'm not sure if your entire plan is safe, however, reconstruct is
> safe.  An individual mailbox or folder just gets locked during the
> actual reconstruct.  Note that it'll increase your I/O load by a
> pretty large amount during the reconstruct.

I thought that if a mailbox was in use by a client (opened state) then
reconstruct would fail for that mailbox? Can someone confirm that
reconstruct won't skip the mailbox while the user is writing/reading to
the mailbox?

--
Scott Russell <lnxgeek at us.ibm.com>
IBM Linux Technology Center, System Admin