migrate cyrus to another server.

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Fri Jul 21 16:47:22 EDT 2006

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry to be asking this cause I know it's been asked before but I can't
> get
> the email list archives now. It keeps telling me page not found. So again
> my
> appologies but I'm a tad desperate.
>

> I have a system with a disk that is failing so I need to move users ASAP
> and
> was wondering the directories I'd need to move to a different server (new
> system just built nothing else on it except base cyrus install) to get
> cyrus
>   up and going business as usual for users?
>
> We have user mailboxes in imap1\usernames
> The username.sub and .seen files are in imap\#\*   (# = first letter on
> email box).
>
> Is it just a matter of stop cyrus on old and new boxes. copy these 2
> directories off the old box to new box and start cyrus on new system?
> Something else I'm missing.

On my servers I have /var/lib/imap and /var/spool/imap. To migrate
everything on another box with the same software releases, I simply stop
cyrus, rsync both dirs to the new box and start it again. You only have a
problem if you for example use BDB for some database backends and your old
and new server don't have the same BDB versions installed. With all the
same releases, it's really no problem.

BTW, the list archives are here
http://lists.andrew.cmu.edu/pipermail/info-cyrus/

Simon