trashed databases after disk full situation

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Fri Jul 21 06:37:18 EDT 2006

> Hello all,
>
> I'm experiencing serious problems whenever there is an accidental disk
> full
> situation. I see two kinds of messages in syslog: the first one concerns

I usually put those files (in my case /var/lib/imap) on a separate
filesystem which can't be filled just like that. Skiplist doesn't like
disk full situations.

> the
> seen database, for instance:
>
> Jul 21 09:39:54 omni imap[1133]: DBERROR: skiplist
> recovery /etc/imap/user/m/mflorencio.seen: ADD at 1FB0 exists
> Jul 21 09:39:54 omni imap[1133]: DBERROR:
> opening /etc/imap/user/m/mflorencio.seen: cyrusdb error
>
> what happens is that all mails become unreadable forever... I have to
> delete
> rge seen database.

There are easy way to fix skiplist dbs, at least to a certain degree.
Check the list archives for mor info.

> the second one is, for instance:
>
> Jul 21 10:47:07 omni lmtpunix[27618]: DBERROR db3: 5 lockers
>
> what does it mean? is it possible to be expurious lock files? Please
> advise.

It's not so bad as long as the lockers number doesn't increase
dramatically. However, I still recommend converting to skiplist. It's a
simpler system and works nice, except for disk full and crash situations.
Even then it's still easier to fix than BDB.

> The cyrus version is 2.2.13 configured with
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/cyrus --with-duplicate-db=skiplist
> --with-sasl=/usr/local/cyrus --without-snmp
>
> Can I switch the database backends to more realiable ones?

Yes, this has been discussed many times on this list.

Simon