Problems compiling: array type has incomplete element type

Jim Schueler jschueler at motorcityinteractive.com
Tue Jul 18 11:20:47 EDT 2006

 Hello.

 I successfully built Cyrus imapd and got everything working, but when
 I tried installing on my production machine and immediately
 got this error:

 mapopts.h:181: error: array type has incomplete element type
 make[1]: *** [libconfig.o] Error 1
 make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tqis/src/cyrus-imapd-2.2.12/lib'
 make: *** [all] Error 1

 here is the offending line of code:

   extern struct imapopt_s imapopts[];

 From what I've learned, gcc 4.0 now explicitly forbids this declaration,
 terseley:

   Arrays are of object types only.  Incomplete types are not object types.

 Is there an easy fix for this problem?  Does the explanation make sense
 to  anyone else?

  -Jim