How does aliases work with cyrus?

former03 | Baltasar Cevc baltasar.cevc at former03.de
Sat Jul 15 10:01:32 EDT 2006

On 15.07.2006, at 08:14, Michael Johnson wrote:
> On Jul 15, 2006, at 1:12 AM, Jim John wrote:
>
>> If a user is an alias such as sales at address.com, how does cyrus
>> forward mail to a  different user such as john at address.com? Thank
>> you.
>
> That's not really a function of the MDA.  Your MTA should be doing
> that sort of thing.  Cyrus might do that sort of thing, I don't know,
> but it's not likely.  Cyrus just delivers mail to the end user.  It
> doesn't do any transport.
You could use sieve to do it (create an account sales and create a
sieve script that drops all mails into john's mailbox; sales must have
post permissions for john's mailbox to do that).

Probably the MTA is the better place, as michael said. (e.g. in Postfix
you could use the virtual_aliases transport to do that and
virtual_mailbox transport for the actual delivery to cyrus. I'm sure
other mailers have similar functions.

Baltasar

Baltasar Cevc

_____ former 03 gmbh