cyradm and cyrus administrator login

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Tue Jul 11 01:24:13 EDT 2006

> I set up cyrus and cyradm with openldap so that users are authenticated
> using openldap, but I am unable to login as the root/cyrus user. I did not
> include this user in the ldap. Regular users have no problem logging in.
> But I need to use the cyrus user and cyradm to create the mailboxes. I
> thought having "admins: cyrus root" was enough in the imapd.conf file and
> generating the passwords, or do I need to add these users to ldap too?
> Thanks for any help.

You didn't tell us how you configured your cyrus-imapd to authenticate
against LDAP. Bus is sure is that you need an account for cyrus somewhere.
If you are using PAM and are using system accounts as a fallback, that's
fine. If you are using only LDAP, you have to create the cyrus account
there.

Simon