[POLL] Cyrus 2.3.x and CONDSTORE

Ken Murchison murch at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jul 7 16:38:56 EDT 2006

David S. Madole wrote:
> Ken Murchison wrote:
>> Is anyone actively using the CONDSTORE extension supported in Cyrus
>> 2.3.x?  I'm only aware of one client that supports it, so I'm thinking
>> the user base is quite small.
>>
>> The reason I ask is that I want to push out a 2.3.7 release ASAP which
>> contains a number of important bugfixes, but I've realized that the
>> replication protocol doesn't have any support for the metadata that is
>> used by CONDSTORE.  I started fixing this but I'm wondering if these
>> changes should be post 2.3.7.
>>
>> Would anyone freak out if 2.3.7 doesn't properly support CONDSTORE and
>> replication?
> I don't know for sure if I am using it, because I don't know what all of
> my clients are, but I bet it's pretty doubtful.

I'd be shocked if anyone other than Dave Cridland (the author of the
Polymer client) is using CONDSTORE support in Cyrus 2.3.  Not only do
you have to have a CONDSTORE-capable client, you would have to have
enabled CONDSTORE support on one or more mailboxes by setting the
correct mailbox annotation.  Since very few, if any, clients support
mailbox annotations (ANNOTATEMORE extension), the user would have to
very good knowledge of the IMAP protocol or access to cyradm to enable
CONDSTORE.

So, a 2.3.7 release without the CONDSTORE replication fixes would
essentially create a replica with CONDSTORE disabled on every mailbox,
which is probably going to be an accurate image of the master in
virtually every installation in the wild.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer