Mailstore filesystem

Andrew Findlay andrew.findlay at skills-1st.co.uk
Wed Jul 5 09:52:42 EDT 2006

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 08:48:23AM -0400, John Madden wrote:

> How big?  ext3 STILL only supports 32000 directories within a directory.
> That gets to be quite a problem on large installs.

You can contain the fanout by enabling both fulldirhash and
hashimapspool in imapd.conf (but you will need to stop the server and
rehash everything if you do this on an existing system).

The 32000 limit applies to subdirectories, not to files so it would
only be a problem for the main spool directory of a server with a lot
of users. Hashing should raise the supportable number of users by a
factor of about 20. I suspect there are other things that would stop
you putting 600,000 users on one server...

Andrew