sieve problem with too many redirects

Markus Rebensburg rebensburg at rz.uni-kiel.de
Tue Jul 4 05:09:26 EDT 2006

Hi,

we are using cyrus 2.2.12 (murder configuration). One of our users has a
sieve script with ~290 redirects. Mails to this address cannot be
delivered, lmtp fails with "LMTP error after end of data: 451 4.3.0
transient system error".
A brief look into the communication between frontend and backend shows
that the LMTP connection is terminated immediately after end of data
without response of the lmtpd on the backend.
I did some tests and found out that there is the magic number of 97
redirects maximum.  A sieve script with 97 redirects works fine, adding
one redirect results in the error mentioned above. Adding other rules
(e.g. keep, fileinto etc) works fine. The size of the sieve script is
below the maximum file size for sieve scripts (default 32Kb). The MTA
(exim) has no restrictions, so this cannot be the problem.

Can anybody help me? Is it a bug in cyrus?

Thanks in advance,
Markus

Markus Rebensburg           |    Email: rebensburg at rz.uni-kiel.de
Rechenzentrum Uni Kiel      |    Tel.:  (++49)-431-880-3582
D-24098 Kiel - Germany      |    Fax:   (++49)-431-880-1523