Superior hierarchical mailbox creation....

nikhil BS nikhilwise at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 04:35:09 EST 2006

Hi all,
We are developing a client for IMAP server.
I tried to create mailbox of the form x.y.z where '.' is the heirarchy
separator.
According to the RFC,

--
If the server's hierarchy separator character appears elsewhere in
      the name, the server SHOULD create any superior hierarchical names

But the mailbox x.y.z was created and not the superior hierarchical
mailboxes x, x.y weren't.
This is the output of the LIST command...

--
o list "" *
* LIST (\HasChildren) "." "INBOX"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Drafts"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Sent"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Trash"
* LIST (\NonExistent \HasNoChildren) "." "INBOXINBOX.Drafts"
* LIST (\NonExistent \HasNoChildren) "." "INBOXINBOX.Sent"
* LIST (\NonExistent \HasNoChildren) "." "INBOXINBOX.Trash"
* LIST (\HasChildren) "." "a"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "a.b.c"
* LIST (\HasChildren) "." "a.c.e"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "a.c.e.f"
* LIST (\HasChildren) "." "abcd"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "abcd.hello"
* LIST (\HasChildren) "." "abcnddd"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "abcnddd.hai"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "asdf"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "haha"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "new"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "p.q.ew"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "snilmail"
* LIST (\HasChildren) "." "user.abhi"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "user.abhi.Drafts"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "user.abhi.Sent"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "user.abhi.Trash"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "user.abhi.new"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "user.damodar"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "x.y.z"
o OK Completed (0.000 secs 28 calls)
--

As we can see from the output, we have the same response for the creation of
the mailbox 'p.q.ew'.

Regards
Nikhil