sieve line 169, unable to connect

Winfried Trumper suse-linux-reply at aibd.org.my
Tue Feb 28 03:56:36 EST 2006

On Wed Aug 17 2005 at 08:33:25 CEST, Jan Voehringer wrote:

> unable to connect to server at /usr/bin/sieveshell line 169.

This can be caused due to the environment variable SASL_PATH pointing to
the wrong directory. Under SuSE Linux with the default RPMs, it does not
need to be set at all. In my case it was set in /etc/profile.local, a
leftover from an ancient evaluation of cyrus-imapd (before it was
available as RPM). After removing the variable and re-starting cyrus,
my sieveshell and timsieved worked properly. (Removing refers to my
file /etc/profile.local as well as unsetting ist in all running shells
with "unset SASL_PATH" before continuing. Just reboot if that is an
option.)

Cc'ing this to the list, so other people can easily find it with search
engines.

-Winfried