Sieve vacation extension recipient address matching

James Ralston qralston+ml.info-cyrus at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Feb 22 20:47:14 EST 2006

On 2006-02-22 at 17:00-05 Ken Murchison <murch at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> James Ralston wrote:
>
> > Hmmm.  From my read of the imapd.conf, I think this will do what I
> > want:
> >
> >     virtdomains: off
> >     defaultdomain: example.com
> >
> > I am understanding these options correctly?  I.e, does the
> > defaultdomain also apply to the recipient matching that Sieve's
> > vacation extension performs?
>
> It probably won't help.  Chances are that the domain is completely
> stripped off of the envelope recipient by the time the sieve script
> is executed.  Because there is no way for lmtpd or Sieve to know
> what a user's email address is, you almost always have to use
> :addresses in the vacation action.

You're right; using defaultdomain doesn't help.

But this brings up an interesting point: why is Sieve matching against
the envelope recipient address in the first place?  Per
draft-ietf-sieve-vacation-06.txt, address matching applies to the
headers in the message (e.g.; To, CC), not to the envelope recipients.

And while Sieve can't know for certain what the user's email address
is, I think a reasonable default guess would be the username for the
local-part and the default virtual domain for the domain.  (I think
that's the logic already, but I wasn't sure based on my quick read of
the code.)

So, I think this is really a bug in Sieve.  If Sieve would perform the
address matching against the headers instead of the envelope
recipient, then I think this problem would be a lot less common.

Thoughts?

James