Mailbox does not exist

former03 | Baltasar Cevc baltasar.cevc at former03.de
Wed Feb 22 07:42:22 EST 2006

Hi Sebastien,

On 22.02.2006, at 00:04, Sébastien Mahé wrote:
> I've even created three mailboxes :
> - account at mydomain.com
> - user.account at mydomain.com
> - user/account at mydomain.com
Depending on your hierarchy separator, one of the latter ones should
be enough. The first one is certainly irrelevant (you'd have to deliver
a mail to "+account at mydomain.com@<HOST>" or something like that to have
that mailbox receive mail.

> maybe this could help :
>> cyrdeliver -l
> 220 --- LMTP Cyrus v2.1.18-IPv6-Debian-2.1.18-1 ready
> RSET
> 250 2.0.0 ok
> MAIL FROM:<sebastien.mahe at gmail.com>
> 250 2.1.0 ok
> RCPT TO:<account at mydomain.com>
> 550-Mailbox unknown.  Either there is no mailbox associated with this
> 550-name or you do not have authorization to see it.
> 550 5.1.1 User unknown
>
> The 550 error seems to be related to an acl misconfiguration. But
> allowing 'post' to root doesn't seem to help.
At least when using LMTP/TCP you will need to authenticate the
administrator - I use the following with postfix (the user I use
to deliver is named "postmaster at MACHINE", you may use any name,
however be sure to have it listed in lmtp_admins in imapd.conf:

### /etc/imapd.conf
# The account used to deliver mails via LMTP should be administrator
lmtp_admins: postmaster

### /etc/postfix/main.conf
# (Please don't ask why it's smtp and not lmtp - a long time has
# passed since creating this config ;-)
smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/cyrus_sasl
smtp_sasl_security_options = noanonymous, noplaintext

### /etc/postfix/cyrus_sasl (create a .db using postmap
/etc/postfix/cyrus_sasl)
MACHINE postmaster%MACHINE:SOME.PASS.WORD

I'm not totally sure, but I think there was some option about
LMTP/socket authentication, too, so perhaps check that.

Hope that gives you some useful hint!

Baltasar