Cyrus-IMAP, saslauthd, Problems with DIGEST/CRAM-MD5

Eric Renfro erenfro at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 06:22:18 EST 2006

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 03:00, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:
> --On 20. Februar 2006 22:08:04 -0600 Eric Renfro <erenfro at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello. I'm having a problem with Cyrus-IMAPD 2.2.12 with Cyrus-SASL
> > 2.1.19's  saslauthd.
> >
> > When I login using the LOGIN method, I see saslauthd doing it's lookup,
> > and  OpenLDAP logs show it as well, and it's all successfull. However,
> > when trying  to do a PLAIN, DIGEST-MD5, or CRAM-MD5 auth to the IMAP
> > server, it fails.  cyrus/imapd shows up in the logs, but saslauthd does
> > not.
>
> You can't use DIGEST-MD5 or CRAM-MD5 with saslauthd. I use sasldb myself,
> so I'm no expert on the other mechanisms, but I think the ldap auxprop
> works with challenge-response mechanisms. I'm not sure why PLAIN would
> fail, though.
>
> Cheers, Sebastian Hagedorn

Ahh, I just recently read up about that. Kinda makes sense, at least in that
sense. Kinda makes me wonder. What would be the difference between using ldap
and pam in saslauthd, in that case. :)
PAM would be more capable of different authentication methods, while ldap is
strictly just ldap.

--
Eric Renfro
===