migrating mailboxes between cyrus-imap servers

Tony pthagonal at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 16:57:53 EST 2006

On 1/24/06, Tony <pthagonal at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm working on replacing an old server running cyrus-imap 2.1.9 (on SuSE
> 8.1) with an install of CentOS 4.2 using the upstream provider's rebuilt
> rpm- which is cyrus-imapd-2.2.12-3.RHEL4.1.  So far it is going well- I
> have the new server authenticating nicely from LDAP and a test mailbox which
> I can use.
>
> I can see that the directory structure has changed -
> /var/spool/imap/user/tony has become /var/spool/imap/t/user/tony/ - and I
> read that the database formats have changed and will need rebuilding too.
>
> Can anyone point me at any howto's for the easiest (or best) way to do a
> bulk migration like this?

I'm going to reply to myself since noone else was able to....

I figured out to use hashimapspool: false in imapd.conf to get the directory
structure to stay as before.
I figure out after a while that SuSE had built 2.1.9 with skiplist already
on, so I didn't need to convert the databases from berkeley to skiplist
using cvt_cyrusdb.
I can now import my mailboxes and bring the server up - and it works apart
from the .seen databases - so I'm getting pretty close.

If I do this on a sample mailbox's seen list:
/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cvt_cyrusdb /var/lib/imap/user/a/auser.seen flat
/var/lib/imap/user/a/auser.seen.new skiplist

then I get the following in /var/log/maillog:

Feb 11 21:48:52 server cvt_cyrusdb[30400]: DBERROR db4: Program
version 4.2doesn't match environment version
Feb 11 21:48:52 server cvt_cyrusdb[30400]: DBERROR: dbenv->open
'/var/lib/imap/db' failed: Invalid argument
Feb 11 21:48:52 server cvt_cyrusdb[30400]: DBERROR: init() on berkeley

which seems pretty odd to me.

Does anyone else recognise this error?

--
Cheers,