Beyond rtcyrus2 (sendmail integration)

Andrzej Adam Filip anfi at xl.wp.pl
Mon Dec 4 04:26:01 EST 2006

Gary Mills wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 11:29:08PM +0100, Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
>> Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi at xl.wp.pl> writes:
>>
>>> I would like to know who is interested in helping to develop next
>>> versions of advanced Sendmail and Cyrus IMAP integration methods.
>>> I would like to further improve methods available at links below:
>>>   http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/rtcyrus2.html
>>>   http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/#cyrus
>
> We've had excellent sendmail/cyrus integration for years, with
> 35,000 users.  It's done by having all users in the NIS map on
> the mail server.  No modification to sendmail is necessary because
> getpwnam() returns the passwd entry for the user.  Users can't log
> in to the mail server, of course, because PAM rules prevent that.
> The same thing could be done with other user databases, such as
> LDAP.  Why would you ever need a different form of integration?

1) As I understand you describe integration *without* support for cyrus
virtual domains (user at example.com, user at example.net).

2) Methods you suggest do not give a chance to reject messages to over
quota mailboxes *in SMTP session*. RTCyrus3 will use information
received via socket map query to deliver it.

--
[pl2en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi at priv.onet.pl : anfi at xl.wp.pl
Home site: http://anfi.homesite.net/