2.6 Kernel and POP issues

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Sat Dec 2 13:20:46 EST 2006

-- "Robert T. Covell" <rcovell at rolet.com> is rumored to have mumbled on 1.
Dezember 2006 18:50:11 -0600 regarding RE: 2.6 Kernel and POP issues:

> I have recompiled my cyrus implementation (--with-devrandom=/dev/urandom)
> and my kernel with no luck.
>
> I reboot from the newest 2.4 kernel and my pop clients hang.  When
> checking the 2.6 kernel I looked at /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail
> and saw that it very low (like 5-30, not sure on specifics).
>
> Is there something I am not doing right with either the kernel or cyrus?

Well, recompiling SASL *should've* taken care of that, but you could also
try disabling APOP in /etc/imapd.conf:

allowapop: 0

Restart Cyrus after you make the change. If that helps it means that, for
whatever reason, Cyrus still uses /dev/random instead of /dev/urandom ...
if it doesn't help, something else must be wrong. I have no idea what that
might be.
--
Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK