a dot in the name ?

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Thu Aug 31 08:11:29 EDT 2006

Mario Pavlov wrote:
> hello guys ;)
> I'm using cyrus-imap + cyrus-sasl + postfix as my mail system
> it works fine
> but I need to add an account with a dot in the name (e.g. mario.pavlov at domain)
> and I don't know how to do that
> I'm using cyradm for creating mailboxes..
> can anyone help me, please ?

While it's common in *addresses*, it's arguably bad practice to include
dots in *accounts* (it's achievable, but not reliably portable). FWIW, I
handle these as aliases to a simpler account name (either in the aliases
file or in $virtual_alias_maps).

For example, my /etc/postfix/virtual might contain this:

  mario at example.com           mario
  mario.pavlov at example.com    mario