sieve doesn't work

Phil Pennock info-cyrus-spodhuis at spodhuis.org
Thu Aug 24 07:46:53 EDT 2006

On 2006-08-24 at 17:54 +0700, Vladi Lemurov wrote:
> the daemon listens to the port, if I do `telnet localhost 2000` I got
> the following:
>
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.localdomain.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> "IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.1.18-IPv6-Debian-2.1.18-1+sarge2"
> "SIEVE" "fileinto reject envelope vacation imapflags notify subaddress
> relational regex"
> "STARTTLS"
> OK

I'm not sure, but given timezones those who do know probably aren't
awake yet so I'll risk it anyway: I don't think that managesieve handles
mandatory TLS and that banner doesn't show any authentication mechanisms
so it's requiring TLS.

Around the line in sieveshell where it dies should be:
----------------------------8< cut here >8------------------------------
if (!defined $obj) {
    die "unable to connect to server";
}
----------------------------8< cut here >8------------------------------

Unfortunately, that doesn't include the error message which
Cyrus::SIEVE::managesieve carefully makes available; the "connect"
actually means rather more than just establishing a TCP connection and
any failure to authenticate causes this.  Can you change the end of the
die line to include "$!" inside the message, so that's reported too?
Something like:

    die "unable to connect to server ($!)";

If the resulting text in parentheses is "sasl mech list empty" then the
problem is definitely the lack of offered authentication mechanisms.
For comparison, I see:
----------------------------8< cut here >8------------------------------
"IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.2.12-Gentoo"
"SASL" "GSSAPI CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5"
"SIEVE" "fileinto reject envelope vacation imapflags notify subaddress relational comparator-i;ascii-numeric regex"
"STARTTLS"

Which leaves the problem of why no authentication is being offered, if
this is the cause.  And for that, I don't know -- you note that your
config works for the other processes and the only thing I see which
would make sieve any different is the possibility that sievedir might
not exist?  Nothing in server logs showing an error message when you try?

Sorry that I can't get you any closer than this to the final answer.
--
"Everything has three factors: politics, money, and the right way to do it.
 In that order."  -- Gary Donahue