sieve doesn't work

Vladi Lemurov fix at stekloprom.ru
Thu Aug 24 06:54:40 EDT 2006

>>    I have debian sarge (stable) installed with cyrus (imapd, pop3,
>> sieve) 2.1.18 -installed. Everything works fine, except sieve. I have
>> already delt with cyrus on Freebsd before, I used sieve there so I would
>> like to put the scripts I already have to this new installation.
>> I get the following error:
>>

>>> $sieveshell --user=<user> --auth=<user> localhost
>>> connecting to localhost
>>> unable to connect to server at /usr/bin/sieveshell line 174.
>>>

> /etc/cyrus.conf, entry for sieve ?

in /etc/cyrus.conf:
sieve           cmd="timsieved -c /etc/imapd.conf" listen="sieve"
prefork=1 maxchild=100
in /etc/services:
sieve           2000/tcp                        # Sieve mail filter daemon

the daemon listens to the port, if I do `telnet localhost 2000` I got
the following:

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain.
Escape character is '^]'.
"IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.1.18-IPv6-Debian-2.1.18-1+sarge2"
"SIEVE" "fileinto reject envelope vacation imapflags notify subaddress
relational regex"
"STARTTLS"
OK

        /Vladi