Migrating a former /etc/sasldb2 (GNU dbm 1.x or ndbm database, little endian)

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Aug 15 18:21:20 EDT 2006

Kevin Kruzich schrieb:

> Clarification below...
>
> Kevin Kruzich wrote:
>

>> I have an /etc/sasldb2 containing around 600 accounts, in GNU dbm
>> format. In running sasldblistusers2 I can see entries like so:
>>
>> joe at greenwich: cmusaslsecretPLAIN
>> jack at greenwich: userPassword
>> jane at greenwich: userPassword
>>

>> When I try to authenticate against (using imtest) this on a host
>> other than greenwich I get the following:
>

> When I move the sasldb2 file to another host (eg, "mbox"), the system
> we're planning to migrate to, I get the following:
>
>> S: L01 NO Login failed: user not found
>> Authentication failed. generic failure
>> Security strength factor: 0

How exactly do you try to auth? The username is "user at greenwich".

>> I CAN add another account joe at mbox using saslpasswd2 --but what I
>> really want to do is change the domain (or realm) in this existing
>> sasldb2.

Did you read "man saslpasswd2"? You would see to use "-u domain", which
sets the realm. By default the domain / realm is the hostname where you
run saslpasswd2.

> I've moved the sasldb2 file to another host --and I can add an
> additional account there. So there's joe at greenwich and joe at mbox. But
> what I'd rather do is just change the name of the realm for joe,
> leaving his former password intact.

Why does the realm matter if you seem to haven't it used for auth
previously?

Alexander