Outlook 2003 still crashing

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Tue Aug 15 12:32:14 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 14:16 +0200, Daniel Eckl wrote:
> I understand. No, we don't have this either.

Curious; as the original initiator of the thread way back, I still see
frequent stalls on Outlook 2003; they're definitely Outlook stalls
too--the Cyrus server is not busy.  In fact, it's an installation on my
workstation, so I'm the only user.  Ultimately, I gave up trying to
stick with the organizational standard and installed Linux on my desktop
(which I'd have preferred in the first place) and moved Windows into
VMware.

I set 'imapidlepoll: 0' in my imapd.conf, which is supposed to disable
IDLE altogether, according to the man page, to no avail.  I also
disabled idled in cyrus.conf, likewise to no avail.  I did not, however,
recompile Cyrus to disable IMAP, which might be what Ken meant back
then.  I'm using the Fedora Extras RPMs, which are based on Simon
Matter's; it's possible, I guess, that a patch is also causing a
problem.  Daniel, did you compile yours directly or is this a binary
from SUSE?  It seems like you have a few patches too, since some of that
options aren't documented in my imapd.conf.

> I have attached cyrus.conf and imapd.conf.
>
> We are running Cyrus 2.2.12 on SuSE 10.0 on filesystem XFS
> (HW: Dual Xeon 2GB RAM, SCSI RAID-5 0,5 TB capacity)
>
> I had freezes up to 30 seconds with the same config running on
> filesystem ext3, but this error was clearly on server side, the ext3
> flushing behavior was so bad that it caused incredible iowait and huge
> load and full server stalls.

Not that it matters now since you've switched, but you were probably
suffering from an undersized journal, see:

http://nakedape.cc/wiki/PlatformNotes_2fLinuxNotes

Wil
--
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>