Cyrus upgrade, need advice

Nikola Milutinovic alokin1 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 12 07:27:17 EDT 2006

Watch out for Berkeley DB versions. Most likely, they will differ and all Cyrus SASL/IMAP DBs that use Berkeley will not be transferrable, just like that. There are things you can do. :-)

First of all, you should export your mailboxes DB using "ctl_mailbox" command. Next, you should backup the entire mbox partition, including sieve dirs. This will include Seen DB (located in each individual folders).

Then upgrade your server and import mailboxes DB. That should be it. If anything starts to buckle, you can use  re-create problematic DBs and use Berkeley DB utils to upgrade the format of the particular file.

The good news is that the actual mails are OK in any case.

Upgrading Cyrus SASL DB is most easily done with db_upgrade utility of Berkeley DB. Alternative is to re-enter all users :-)

Postfix should have source files for all it's DBs, so it is a non-issue here.

I have done this upgrading from 2.1 to 2.2, so it works, just have backups handy and don't panic.

Nix.