MD5-encrypted passwords in a SASL-SQL-database

Haakon Gjersvik Eriksen hakon at extern.uio.no
Thu Aug 10 08:51:14 EDT 2006

Hello, everyone

We're about to migrate a server from Courier-IMAP to Cyrus-IMAP. The
Courier-server autheticates via authdaemond to a MySQL-server, and the
passwords in the MySQL-server are MD5-encrypted.

I can not get authentication to work with Cyrus and SASL (with the SQL
auxprop-plugin) with the encrypted passwords, only when the passwords
are in plaintext. The question is, is there something I've not
understood in how to configure Cyrus/SASL, or does the SQL
auxprop-plugin require all the passwords to be in plaintext?

If it is not possible to have MD5-encrypted passwords, does anone have
any suggestions what we could do instead? Authenticate against Courier's
authdaemond, perhaps?

--
  - Haakon