testing pop

Sam sam at kanji.com.au
Mon Aug 7 20:47:01 EDT 2006

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Sam schrieb:
>
>> Sam wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The pop login failed with cyrus-imap23.
>>> the error message is:
>>> Aug  7 15:17:10 newbox pop3[35477]: badlogin: sender.com [10.1.2.99]
>>> plaintext sam SASL(-13): user not found: checkpass failed
>>>
>>> In the other mail box (core2) with the identical configuration, the
>>> login is successful with the following message:
>>> Aug  7 14:19:01 core9 pop[14569]: login: [10.1.4.6] john plaintext
>>> User logged in
>>>

>>> Would this mean cyrus in box is using SASL, while core9 does not?
>>
> SASL is used anyway, just in the trouble case it failed.
>

>>> Thanks
>>> SAm
>>

>> I just found out the imap/spool/ directory is empty. Should I
>> populate this directory with user names in order to get the login
>> success?
>
> If you installed Cyrus-IMAPd by a package install all necessary
> directories would have been created automatically. Although you have
> to create each mailbox using cyradm, unless the autocreate patch is
> configured and used.
>

>> Thanks
>> Sam
>
> You offer much too few information. Can we guess your OS is Fedora
> Core? Provide detailed information about your Cyrus-IMAPd and
> Cyrus-SASL setup.
I installed it in FreeBSD 6.
The options compiled into this cyrus-imapd23 is:
WITH_BDB_3=true
WITHOUT_BDB_4=true
WITHOUT_BDB_41=true
WITHOUT_BDB_42=true
WITHOUT_BDB_43=true
WITHOUT_DRAC=true
WITHOUT_IDLED=true
WITHOUT_LDAP_PTLOADER=true
WITHOUT_LISTEXT=true
WITH_MURDER=true
WITHOUT_NETSCAPEHACK=true
WITHOUT_NNTP=true
WITH_REPLICATION=true
WITHOUT_SNMP_4=true
WITHOUT_SNMP_5=true
WITHOUT_PASS8BITHACK=true

Its test script shown as below:
# su cyrus
%imtest -m login -p imap localhost
S: * OK newranger Cyrus IMAP4 v2.3.1 server ready
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL RIGHTS=kxte QUOTA LITERAL+
MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT
CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES
ANNOTATEMORE CATENATE IDLE STARTTLS AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5
SASL-IR URLAUTH
S: C01 OK Completed
Please enter your password:
C: L01 LOGIN cyrus {6}
S: + go ahead
C: <omitted>
S: L01 NO Login failed: user not found
Authentication failed. generic failure
Security strength factor: 0
^CC: Q01 LOGOUT
Connection closed.

the sasldb2.db file is already have user name cyrus added.

Thanks
Sam