restore email

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Tue Aug 1 13:48:14 EDT 2006

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Sam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to restore some email from the email backup directory.
> I created a directory called "backup" in a user/me directory, and executed
> reconsturct from cyrus, but after relogin the mail client, I don't see
> user/me/backup exist from the mail client.
>
> I want to copy all the following backup file to the user/me/backup/ folder,
> so that the mail client can browse thru all backup email from that folder
> without mess up the new emails.
>
> Can anyone please tell me how to do that in cyrus?

Here are the steps I use to restore mail for a user:

1. Locate user's mail directory
(/var/spool/cyrus/mail/prefix/user/username).
2. Change to that directory.
3. Make a RESTORE directory (mkdir RESTORE).
4. Fix ownership/perms (chown cyrus:mail RESTORE; chmod 700 RESTORE).
5. Change to the directory containing the mail folder the user wants
restored.
6. Run 'recover', the Legato backup client.
7. 'changetime' to change the time to recover data from.
8. 'add filename' to add the files to restore.  To restore all the
messages in the folder, use 'add *. cyrus.header'.
9. 'relocate RESTORE' to recover files into the RESTORE directory instead
of the current directory.
10. 'recover' to recover the files.
11. 'quit' to quit out of the recover program.
12. Run "su cyrus -c '/usr/local/cyrus/bin/reconstruct -f user.username'".
13. Run "su cyrus -c '/usr/local/cyrus/bin/quota -f user.username'".

 	Andy