Moving and upgrading Cyrus-imapd (howto) ?

Sascha Bieler sascha.bieler at radiogong.de
Mon Apr 17 20:16:12 EDT 2006

Jesper K. Pedersen schrieb:
> In connection to upgrading our small email server (around 35 users) I
> have run into a slight problem. I can log into my server and also get a
> folderlist, but it seems it is hanging (not displaying) content in the
> folders.
>
> My source server is running this version:
> version
> name       : Cyrus IMAPD
> version    : v2.2.6 2004/06/17 18:54:31
> vendor     : Project Cyrus
> support-url: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus
> os         : Linux
> os-version : 2.6.11.11
> environment: Built w/Cyrus SASL 2.1.18
>             Running w/Cyrus SASL 2.1.18
>             Built w/Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December
> 3, 2003)
>             Running w/Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December
> 3, 2003)
>             Built w/OpenSSL 0.9.7b 10 Apr 2003
>             Running w/OpenSSL 0.9.7b 10 Apr 2003
>             CMU Sieve 2.2
>             TCP Wrappers
>             mmap = shared
>             lock = fcntl
>             nonblock = fcntl
>             auth = unix
>             idle = poll
>
> Destination:
> version
> name       : Cyrus IMAPD
> version    : v2.3.1-Invoca-RPM-2.3.1-2.6.fc5 2005/12/20 15:54:43
> vendor     : Project Cyrus
> support-url: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus
> os         : Linux
> os-version : 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5
> environment: Built w/Cyrus SASL 2.1.21
>             Running w/Cyrus SASL 2.1.21
>             Built w/Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.3.29: (February
> 15, 2006)
>             Running w/Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.3.29: (March 24,
> 2006)
>             Built w/OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005
>             Running w/OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005
>             CMU Sieve 2.3
>             TCP Wrappers
>             mmap = shared
>             lock = fcntl
>             nonblock = fcntl
>             idle = idled
>
> My procedure for migrating to the new server was stopping the source
> server. Finding all files that were running the Berkeley format and
> making a new file using the cvt_cyrusdb to make a new skiplist format file.
> I then used rsyns to copy all the files to my new server (keeping its
> location in the filesystem the same). I copied the imapd.conf and the
> cyrus.conf over (with a few adjustments to give support to sql
> authentication backed).
> As a final step I converted the skiplist files back to the new Berkeley
> database format and started the server.
>
> Anyone with any ideas what can be the problem... Or even better - what
> is the correct way to migrate Cyrus-Imapd from one version to another?
>
> Thanks,
>  Jesper K. Pedersen
> ----

There's no problem whith the way you did it, I did it the same way 5
times last month, because my IMAP-partition was to slow with ext3.

So if u got ur mails in the right directory but nothings displayed, try
to su to cyrus or cyrus-admin-user and run the following command:

/usr/lib/cyrus/reconstruct -rf user

After u've done that everything should be fine again.

Don't forget to set the permissions right after rsyncing!!!

Greetings

Sascha