more than one Sieve autoreply per day?

Phil Durbin pdurbin at berklee.edu
Mon Apr 10 10:23:32 EDT 2006

> That would make it workable.  I've been asked for the same thing, and
> would welcome a solution.

I talked to another hi-ed Cyrus IMAP admin and his users have asked
for autoreplies as well.  It must be a fairly common request.

> Another aspect of it that has bothered me is that HR typically
> wants to
> say "your message has been received", but are there situations
> where the
> reply is sent and the message not delivered?  Disk failure perhaps,
> or the recipient mailbox over quota.  In such cases the message should
> bounce, but maybe not for a few days, and in the meantime the sender
> thinks it has been received.  The consequences are different than they
> are for an ordinary vacation notice.  It could be more of a legal
> question than an email question.

Right, our autoreply says "Your materials have been forwarded to the
appropriate department for consideration."  I guess it's true
enough. . . at least by this point the message has gone through out
Postfix and SpamAssassin servers and made it to our Cyrus servers.
I'm sure most people receiving the autoreply don't want to hear about
the nuances of email delivery, but your point is well taken.

One thing our users don't have to worry about is being over
quota. . . we don't have them!

Thanks again for your feedback, everyone.

Phil

--
Phil Durbin
Senior Systems Analyst