Virtual domains and user@domain1.com and user@domain2.com

S. J. Morrison sjm at sjmorrison.net
Sat Apr 8 07:39:20 EDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: "Ciprian Vizitiu" <cvizitiu at gbif.org>
To: info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
Sent: 08/04/06 10:50
Subject: RE: Virtual domains and user at domain1.com and user at domain2.com

> I have TWO joes(s) in TWO different domains but they "live on the same
> IMAP box... Because I'm using Cyrus IMAP the users mailboxes aren't
> mapped to system accounts so Postfix just passes any mail to unknown
> "non-system accounts" on to Cyrus for delivery. So the question
> becomes how do I enable such a setup so that Cyrus will deliver the
> mail to the correct mailbox?

OK you had one Joe on one domain and he was receiving mail fine.  You added
another Joe to another domain and now all mail goes to one of the Joes.  It
sounds like as Ciprian said it is an MTA issue.  Postfix is stripping the
FQDN before passing mail on to Cyrus.

Since he said that users to not exist as users on the underlying machine to
me it looks like "virtual" and/or "virtual_mailbox" in Postfix. Simply
create a different joe say joesmith as a mbox on Cyrus and split delivery in
Postfix via "virtual_mailbox" mechanism. But then obviously I'm no Cyrus
guru, most likely it can also be done in a "pure Cyrus way".

Hi

I mentioned I do not use Postfix (I found Exim more suitable for me - and although there is not a howto like the postfix one there is very good docs on exim.org).  When creating users in Cyrus using sasl the domain can be specified meaning they are distinct.  If a MTA strips the domain from an email address and passess it Cyrus will add the default domain to the user.  This is the impression of the problem I got from Jim's posts although if he has managed to have mail delivered to virtual domains already this does not quite make sense - basically if Cyrus is already delivering to multiple domains I cannot see why there is a problem with users with the same name before the @ in an email address (unless there is something particular in Jim's configuration).  Hope this is of some help to Jim - if not let us have a look at imapd.conf and I might be able to suggest something else.

Regards

sjm
----