Help with a Sieve script

Kjetil Torgrim Homme kjetilho at ifi.uio.no
Tue Apr 4 19:43:49 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 09:54 -0500, Scott Bronson wrote:
> There are two simple Sieve scripts that I would like to write:
>
> I need to unconditionally save a copy of each incoming message,
> organized by the recipient's name.  Is it possible to write a global
> Sieve script to do something like this?
>
>     fileinto :address :localpart;
>     keep;
>
> If not, then what's the best way of doing this?

no, Cyrus does not have support for a global Sieve script, but you could
do this in your MTA (e.g. Exim) instead.

> Also, on a personal note, I'm on a lot of mailing lists and need to
> modify my Sieve scripts every time I subscribe or unsubscribe.  It's
> starting to get painful.  Can I just automatically file each list based
> on its List-Id?  That would leave me only a few lists that would have to
> be special-cased.
>
>     if header :matches "List-Id" /([A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9_-]*)/ {
>         fileinto "mail.$1";
>     }
>
> The second one at least appears possible in Gnu Mailutils Sieve.  Are
> either of these requirements possible in Cyrus Sieve?  Thanks!

I looked at the manual for GNU Mailutils, but couldn't find anything
like this.  you really want the Sieve "variables" extension:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-variables-08.txt

as far as I know, no one has yet started work on implementing this for
Cyrus.  the draft itself has been approved for publication as an RFC as
soon as its dependencies have been published, so the syntax is frozen.
--
Kjetil T.