how to *not* use PAM, but sasldb2 on fedora core 5 (coming from BSD)

Nikola Milutinovic alokin1 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 1 13:18:31 EST 2006

--- Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler at riscworks.net> wrote:

> hi list,
>
> i'm in the not-so-lucky (at least for me ;) situation to set up a FC5
> imap server.
>
> it wants to use PAM, which runs fine for me on NetBSD 3.0 e.g., but
> this linux box won't do it:
>
> Mar 28 11:58:48 www perl: No worthy mechs found

This is from cyradm, right? What was your choice of SASL mechanism?

> Mar 28 11:58:52 www saslauthd[3238]: do_auth         : auth failure:
> [user=cyrus] [service=imap] [realm=localdomain] [mech=pam] [reason=PAM
> auth error

It would be benefitial to know why this failed, but if you're targeting
SASL-DB, it is really secondary.

> (this is while trying 'cyradm -u cyrus localhost')
>
> the mechs are installed:
>
> cyrus-sasl.i386                         2.1.21-10
> cyrus-sasl-lib.i386			2.1.21-10
> cyrus-sasl-md5.i386                     2.1.21-10
> cyrus-sasl-plain.i386			2.1.21-10
> cyrus-sasl-devel.i386			2.1.21-10
> cyrus-sasl-gssapi.i386 			2.1.21-10
> cyrus-sasl-ldap.i386 			2.1.21-10
> cyrus-sasl-ntlm.i386 			2.1.21-10
> cyrus-sasl-sql.i386			2.1.21-10
>
> so, has anyone running this setup (FC5, postfix, cyrus, managing mail
> users via saslpasswd & friends) running, and if so, how does one get there?

OK, what is the setup of Cyrus IMAP, regrading SASL mechanisms?

Better yet, set it up to use SASL-DB:

/etc/imapd.conf
sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop
sasl_auxprop_plugin: sasldb

Then, use "saslpasswd2 -c <username>" to create entries in SASL-DB.

BTW, I'm in a process of setting up AuxProp: LDAP-DB and it is a head cracker.
I cannot opt for SASL-DB, since I need Microsoft ADS integration.

Nix.